The Pianist-What song is it
Joe Piscapo
2004-04-20 21:03:58 UTC
Hi if you have seen the movie The Pianist what is the name of the song that
the main character plays for the Nazi Officer near the end of the movie?
Thanks.
Sandman
2004-04-20 21:25:04 UTC
I thought this was Ballade nr 1 ( I think op 23 ) by Chopin. Beautifull !
And btw an incredibly great movie .
Thanks.
John Cisarik
2004-04-21 00:55:44 UTC
Post by Joe Piscapo
Hi if you have seen the movie The Pianist what is the name of the song that
the main character plays for the Nazi Officer near the end of the movie?
Thanks.
I wish I had seen your question a week ago, when I rented "The Pianist" on
DVD. I don't remember what Szpilman played for the officer, but in any event
it was listed in the credits at the end of the film. Good luck!
T.B.
2004-05-12 17:33:36 UTC
Post by Joe Piscapo
the main character plays for the Nazi Officer near the end of the movie?
Thanks.
I wish I had seen your question a week ago, when I rented "The Pianist" on
DVD. I don't remember what Szpilman played for the officer, but in any event
it was listed in the credits at the end of the film. Good luck!
In the movie he played Chopin's 1st ballade (as we know), in real life
however, the piano was in such bad shape that Szpilman couldn't muster
anything but Chopin's cminor nocturne. Oh Hollywood!

Ptnegun
2004-04-21 01:42:46 UTC
Post by Joe Piscapo
what is the name of the song that
the main character plays for the Nazi Officer near the end of the movie?
Chopin's Ballade No.1 in g minor. At the end is the Andante Spianato and Grand
Polonaise -- Op. 33, I think.
xxx
2004-05-12 16:02:45 UTC
the andante spianato is op.22.

the g minor ballad (1st of the four) is op.23
Polonaise -- Op. 33, I think.
auP3tCLZ
2004-04-21 19:33:12 UTC
Hi
the pianist is a film of Polanski and you have two songs in the film : the
first one is the nocturne of Chopin in Si bemol minor and when the pianist
plays in front of the officer he is playing the first ballade of Chopin and
at the end he plays again the nocturne ( the same one )
but even the film is very near from the book , in the book it is not the
same nocturne the pianist plays. So i had ask to Polanski with my of my
friend who knows him etc ...

Marc from Paris ( France)
Thanks.
albert landa
2004-04-22 11:20:40 UTC
I am sorry if I appear somewhat pedantic, but I cannot understand this
apparently worldwide and incorrect phenomenon of calling all pieces of music
"SONGS" no matter be they works for solo piano,concertos,chamber-music,
ophecleide solos or quartets of super-kazoos.They are not SONGS!! A song is
a piece of music that is SUNG by a SINGER!!An orchestral composition is not
a SONG!! Never has been and never will be.Pieces for instruments are just
that viz PIECES or Works but never SONGS.And by the way yes, "The Pianist"
was indeed a superlative, great movie.

albert landa
Thanks.
ptooner
2004-04-22 12:53:48 UTC
Post by albert landa
I am sorry if I appear somewhat pedantic, but I cannot understand this
apparently worldwide and incorrect phenomenon of calling all pieces of music
"SONGS" no matter be they works for solo piano,concertos,chamber-music,
ophecleide solos or quartets of super-kazoos.They are not SONGS!! A song is
a piece of music that is SUNG by a SINGER!!An orchestral composition is not
a SONG!! Never has been and never will be.Pieces for instruments are just
that viz PIECES or Works but never SONGS.
Hmmm, wasn't there a "piece" called "Song Without Words?" While we're on
pet peeves, mine is people who refer to horizontal pianos as "Baby Grands".
How anyone can consider a 1000 pound instrument a baby is beyond me, but I
am of the opinion that the term comes from a century old song called "I love
a Piano."

Gerry

Thanks.
John Cisarik
2004-04-22 14:27:08 UTC
Post by albert landa
I am sorry if I appear somewhat pedantic, but I cannot understand this
apparently worldwide and incorrect phenomenon of calling all pieces of music
"SONGS" no matter be they works for solo piano,concertos,chamber-music,
ophecleide solos or quartets of super-kazoos.They are not SONGS!! A song is
a piece of music that is SUNG by a SINGER!!An orchestral composition is not
a SONG!! Never has been and never will be.Pieces for instruments are just
that viz PIECES or Works but never SONGS.And by the way yes, "The Pianist"
was indeed a superlative, great movie.
albert landa
May I offer a friendly comment?

Some of the posters here are not native speakers of English, and it may be
that they do not know the precise word and use the only one they know. Your
correction is certainly appropriate for some native speakers of English who
might be careless in their posts, but to refer to "this apparently worldwide
and incorrect phenomenon of calling all pieces of music 'SONGS'...." seems
to me, a retired editor, a little overboard.
albert landa
2004-04-24 16:25:50 UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for your friendly correction.

I was of course referring to English- speaking scources such as
USA,Australia, UK,Canada etc. and the persistence of this apparently new
habit in these countries.My main querie is where and how did it originate.It
was not always thus.I think I am able to discern when a posting is from a
non English-speaking country.And here in Australia it is very widely and,to
me,quite maddeningly ubiquitous.

albert landa
auP3tCLZ
Thanks.
albert landa
2004-04-23 07:03:51 UTC
Dear Marc,

I wish my French was half as good as your English and please correct me if I
am wrong but surely in French does not one say "Un piece pour le piano" as
opposed to une chanson pour le piano unless the composer specifically calls
it "Chanson" and in German surely,in the same way, does not one say Ein
stucke fur die piano and not Ein lied fur le piano.

I must say that I get quite cross when a young student of mine describes a
piece for piano, or even orchestra, as a "song" and I quickly correct me.I
may be pedantic but I happen to think these things are quite important.

regards,

albert landa
Thanks.
Michael
2004-04-23 12:28:01 UTC
Post by albert landa
I must say that I get quite cross when a young student of mine describes a
piece for piano, or even orchestra, as a "song" and I quickly correct me.I
may be pedantic but I happen to think these things are quite important.
Do you serve custard with your bagatelles?
--
Michael.