Beautiful music
Bradley Burgess
2004-02-15 19:29:29 UTC
Hi

Just a general question here (3 actually)

What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
tear-jerkers here) piece of:

1) music (any genre, type or category)
2) choral music
3) piano music

Cheers
Dan McGarvey
2004-02-15 19:56:10 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
Hi
Just a general question here (3 actually)
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
I can only think of one piece of music off the top of my head.

James MacMillan: Cantos Sagrados.

As I was thinking about this, I discovered that my own personal sense of
fulfillment in a piece of music doesn't necessarily come from emotional
impact. Ironic, since that's one of my first considerations when starting a
new piece.

Dan
Al Stevens
2004-02-15 21:04:37 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
2) choral music
3) piano music
I can't say they're the "most beautiful," but here are some things that call
forth an emotional reaction in me, maybe because of some long ago experience
associated with it. (Pardon me if I misspell something.)

Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto, all 3 movements
Asa's Death from the Pier Gynt Suite
Some ballads written during WWII. "I'll Be Seeing You," etc.
Sospiri Op. 70 by Elgar
Bill Evans's "Turn Out the Stars"
"When I Lost You" by Irving Berlin
Victor
2004-02-16 14:54:33 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
Try the "Blade Runner" soundtrack by Vangelis. "Memories of Green" is
on it as well!
Post by Bradley Burgess
3) piano music
Currently, I do like the cello & piano by Gary Jules' version of "Mad
World", previously performed by Tears for Fears.
J R Laredo
2004-02-15 21:27:50 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
Hi
Just a general question here (3 actually)
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
Beethoven, Symphony in E-Flat Major, Second movement. This is what God
requests when heroes enter heaven. Done right, when the horns enter with
the ascending melody there should not be a dry eye in the house.
Post by Bradley Burgess
2) choral music
Thompson, Alleluia. Written during one of the darkest times of the 20th
century it acknowledges the horror of war, but never gives up hope. A lot
of mileage on two words.
Post by Bradley Burgess
3) piano music
Can't think of one right off hand.
Cheers
Sandman
2004-02-16 00:11:31 UTC
Not an easy question, but right now I can nominate these songs for your
three categories

1.) -Radiohead - paranoid android
-Beethoven - Symphony n 8 -second movement (a real tearjurker)
-Mozart -Symphony 40 and 41
-Mozart - Pianoconcertos 20,21,24
-Bach - Clavecin concerto n 1
-dEUS - instant street
2.)-Mozart - Requiem
-Bach - Mattheus Passion
3.)-Brad Mehldau - Exit music
-Chopin - Ballade n 1
-Beethoven - Appassionata sonata
-John Field - Nocturne n 2, 4

It is a very limited list though.
Cheers
Sandman
2004-02-16 10:21:29 UTC
I'm sorry , I meant n 7
Temprance
2004-02-16 00:51:20 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
Hi
Just a general question here (3 actually)
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
2) choral music
3) piano music
Cheers
1) Eleanor Rigby. The words are heart breaking. 'All the sad and lonely
people, where do they all come from.'?
2)Handel's Messiah
3)Chopsticks. Sounds daft maybe to some but it's a composition that grabs
children, they learn it and pass it on.

Temprance
f***@hotmail.com
2004-02-16 01:03:36 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
I prefer orchestral music more than anything else, but it's hard to
pick the "most" beautiful piece. So I'll just list my favourites -
Debussy's afternoon of a faune, stravinsky's rite of spring, and
gershwin's rhapsody in blue.
Post by Bradley Burgess
2) choral music
Don't like choral music.
Post by Bradley Burgess
3) piano music
Just solo piano piece? Bach's WTC and Debussy's preludes and images.
Though WTC is not really piano music.
Mike Williams
2004-02-16 01:05:38 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
Faure: Pavane
Gorecki: Symphony No.3
Antony & the Johnsons: Twilight
Barber: Adagio for Strings
Badalamenti: Love Theme from Twin Peaks
Tindersticks: Tiny Tears
Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez
Post by Bradley Burgess
2) choral music
Mozart: Requiem
Howard Blake: Walking in the Air
Post by Bradley Burgess
3) piano music
Vangelis: Memories of Green
Ketil Bjornstad: selections from "Epigraphs", "The River"
Raymond Robijns
2004-02-16 09:21:48 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
Cello Concert of Shostakovitch with Yo-Yo Ma
Bachianas no5 Villa-Lobos - 1st part
Leningrad Symphony of (again) Shostakovitch
Symphony no. 2 Gustav Mahler
Post by Bradley Burgess
2) choral music
Mozart: Requiem
Mozart: Ave Verum
Mozart: Requiem
Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem
Bach: Mattheus Passion
Post by Bradley Burgess
3) piano music
Chopin: All four Scherzi
Gershwin: Preludes
Darius Milhuad: Saudades do Brasil

Complete list? NO!!!

Raymond
alabaster
2004-02-16 16:32:24 UTC
CHORAL
Rachmaninov's Vespers (especially "Bogoroditse devo" or something like that)

Arvo Part's "Litany"

ORCHESTRAL
Mahler's 5th Symphony, Adagietto movement

Arvo Part's Fratres, especially the version for solo violin, string ensemble
+ percussion -- I saw the philadelphia orchestra play this last year and it
was one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen

Depending on your sense of beautiful, Morton Feldman's "Coptic Light."

Beethoven's 6th Symphony, especially the Allegretto movement

OTHER
Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah" on the "Grace" album.

Tom Waits "Fawn" off the CD "Alice." Purely instrumental, but very tender
and beautiful in a typically Waitsian sort of way. If you're looking for
tear-jerking as in "sad," try Tom Waits "A Little Rain" or "November."

chris.
Cheers
Jeffrey Quick
2004-02-16 19:01:24 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
Hi
Just a general question here (3 actually)
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
Mahler 9th
Post by Bradley Burgess
2) choral music
Robert White, lamentations of Jeremiah
Post by Bradley Burgess
3) piano music
Mozart, Rondo in A minor
stubby
2004-02-17 04:28:25 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
2) choral music
Robert White, lamentations of Jeremiah
Post by Bradley Burgess
3) piano music
Mozart, Rondo in A minor
Dexters Tune--Randy Newman
Al Stevens
2004-02-16 19:08:11 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
3) piano music
Anything by Tatum. I cry because I'll never, ever be able to play like that.

Al Stevens
http://www.alstevens.com
Simon Goss
2004-02-17 00:55:57 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
1) music (any genre, type or category)
Dvorak Cello Concerto
Brahms Double Concerto
Dvorak symphony 8
Sibelius symphony 4 (not a typo, you did ask for tear-jerkers :)
Britten: Peter Grimes
Post by Bradley Burgess
2) choral music
B minor Mass
Tippett: A Child Of Our Time
Britten: War Requiem
Post by Bradley Burgess
3) piano music
Beethoven G Major concerto
Schubert: all the last 3 sonatas
Schubert: Moments Musicaux, D780
Prokoffiev sonata 8
--
Simon

UK Go Challenge for schools, Summer term 2004
http://www.ukgochallenge.com
Mike Williams
2004-02-17 01:10:58 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
1) music (any genre, type or category)
Elgar Cello Concerto
Sibelius Symphony No.2
Post by Bradley Burgess
2) choral music
Richard Einhorn: Voices of Light
Gert Wallage
#2 is easy. It's "Sourp Sourp (Holy Holy), Divine Liturgy" by the St.
Petersburg Chamber Choir, from _Sacred Treasures III_.

When my mother fell seriously ill, I made her a compilation CD of the most
beautiful, peaceful classical music I could find. This piece was playing
in her room at the moment she passed away.

The piece is incredibly beautiful in its own right; but as you may imagine,
now that it has that particular association for me, I can't hear it without
getting choked up.

Gert
J. Mark Inman
2004-02-17 12:05:57 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
Just a general question here (3 actually)
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
music that has made me cry through its beauty-
Post by Bradley Burgess
1) music (any genre, type or category)
Radiohead- several songs off of their last 4 albums.
T.V. Sankaranarayanan (Carnatic-Vocal)
TOOL- Lateralus (not so much for its aesthetc qualities but for its cerebral
and spiritual ones)
Post by Bradley Burgess
2) choral music
Durufle's Requiem- BY FAR- IMHO to be the most beautiful work ever created.
Mozart's Requiem
Post by Bradley Burgess
3) piano music
I did cry once to the theme of the Golberg Variations when I saw the movie
32 Short Films about Glenn Gould, also there are the Brahms Ballades and
Intermezzi (also played by Glenn Gould)

-JMI
Tgb
2004-02-17 19:05:28 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
Hi
Just a general question here (3 actually)
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
2) choral music
3) piano music
Cheers
1) All I Want is You - U2
2) Don't know enough to say
3) Brahms F# Cappriccio, Rachmaninoff's D major Prelude of opus 23,
Chopin's 4th Ballade.
Terryo
2004-02-17 20:32:09 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
Hi
Just a general question here (3 actually)
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
When I'm in a REALLY sentimental mood, I'll put on Smetana's "Ma
Vlast" and let myself be swept away.....
M. Slater
2004-02-19 08:06:10 UTC
Verdi:
La Traviata
Rigoletto
Il Trovatore
Puccini:
La Boheme
Strauss:
Salome
Ariadne auf Naxos
Der Rosenkavalier (especially the final trio)
Chopin: Waltzes, Mazurkas, Ballades
Mozart: Don Giovanni
JS Bach: Brandenburg Concerto #3 in G (perfect music)
Organ Preludes and Fugues
Monteverdi: Il Coronazione di Poppea
Michael Praetorius: Dance music
Johannes Ockeghem: Requiem
Guillaume DuFay: Secular chansons

Mark
Mike Girouard
2004-02-20 09:33:54 UTC
Post by Terryo
Post by Bradley Burgess
Hi
Just a general question here (3 actually)
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
When I'm in a REALLY sentimental mood, I'll put on Smetana's "Ma
Vlast" and let myself be swept away.....
Grieg's "Last Spring" will get me close to blubbing every time. There
is a sadness in that music that is spiritual.

FoggyTown
"It may be only your humble opinion, sir, but it happens to clash with
my authoritative one."
Hmmm...
2004-02-20 14:49:40 UTC
Here is the hands-down winner. Once you become familiar with the nuances of
this particular performance, you will be sobbing each time you listen. Chee
Yun is incredible. The accompanist is Akira Eguchi and he does a terrific
job.

Vocalise, op. 34, no. 14, Sergei Rachmaninov
From the CD: Vocalise - Violin Show Pieces
Chee Yun, Akira Eguchi (accompanist)

It is one of my favorite CDs. It is a collection of violin showpieces and
encore pieces, and they are all beautiful. This link has some audio samples
(not CD quality unfortunately - the CD sounds much better).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000034SJ/qid%3D1077287565/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-2406653-7011964#product-details

Akira Eguchi
Cheers
remove nospam
2004-02-22 04:18:09 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
Hi
Just a general question here (3 actually)
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
2) choral music
3) piano music
Cheers
Mascagni: Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana
and the violin solo, Meditation from Thais
John F
2004-02-23 20:29:10 UTC
Post by Bradley Burgess
Hi
Just a general question here (3 actually)
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful (I am talking about real
1) music (any genre, type or category)
Mozart - Symphonies 40 and 41
Rachmaninov - Piano concerto no.2, all of it
Rachmaninov - Vocalise, esp on the violin
Barber - Adagio
Dove Sono from Mozart's Marriage of Figaro
Handel - Lascia ch'io pianga
Elgar - Cello concerto
Mendelssohn - Violin concerto
Tori Amos - Winter
John Williams - theme from Schindler's List
Ungar - The Ashokan Farewell
Post by Bradley Burgess
2) choral music
Mozart - Requiem and Ave Verum
Palestrina - Missa aeterna christi munera
Rachmaninov - Vespers
Allegri - Miserere
Faure - Cantique de Jean Racine
Tavener - Song for Athene
Rutter - Go forth into the world in peace
Post by Bradley Burgess
3) piano music
Beethoven - Moonlight sonata
Schubert - Impromptu in Gb
Liszt - Un Sospiro
Bach - Aria from the Goldberg Variations
Ravel - Pavane pour une infante defunte

John